Monday, October 1, 2012

During the past couple of weeks I have been working on a PCR for PV92. PV92, a human-specific alu insertion on chromosome 16. The PV92 genetic system has only two alleles indicating the presence (+) or absence (-) of the alu transposable element on each of the paired chromosomes. This results in three PV92 genotypes (++, +-, or --). The + and - alleles can be separated by size using gel electrophoresis. When I first started this kit I got no results from the primers or from my extraction which resulted in a busted so I started all over again and ran the experiment multiple times until I got some result. About 4 weeks later after multiple attempts I finally got some results but I had to change the procedures just a small bit. The procedure asked for a .9% saline wash to remove the cheek cells from your mouth but instead I did the 10ml of saline wash and 10 ml of DI water and mixed them. After that I centrifuged it multiple times until I got an average size pellet at the bottom of the pcr tube. This procedure change helped me with getting results even though they were not the best results one should expect. I'll probably have to run it again so that I acquire optimal results. Also after this PCR experiment I will continue with my previous experiment on euthrophication in a more in depth research based project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment