Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bioremediation Practice Updates

 


Today I went to check the cultured tubes to see the differences from the first day that I started my experiment to now. A quick recap, I had four tubes and there were two groups to track observations.

  • The first tube had 0.02% tetrazolium, corn oil, and distilled water. 
  • The second tube had 0.02% tetrazolium, oil, and microbial suspension (Rid-X). 
  • The third tube had distilled water, corn oil, and distilled water added again. 
  • The last, fourth tube, had distilled water, corn oil, and Rid-X. 
*Tubes 1 and 2 were Experiment A, and tubes 3 and 4 were Experiment 4. 

The observations changed today as I took a look at the tubes and realized the major difference. 
  • Tubes 1 and 3 had no change, same liquid,clear appearance. 
  • Tube 2 drastically changed as the oil layer turned into a maroon color, and very little to no fluids present. Underneath the maroon layer, the appearance looked like sand that was wet. The reason why the color changed was because the microbes present began to degrade the oil. This caused the chemical indicator to change structure and turn pink. 
  • Lastly, Tube 4 had more of a "blob" texture like appearance, dark brown (like sand that was wet) and little fluid. This is to show that the microbes changed the composition of oil over time. 
I may more than likely will need to repeat this procedure and alter the amount of materials added in the tubes to equate the number of days for results. For example, I started the experiment last Thursday, and now Tuesday the results are dramatically different but it was supposed to be a day-to-day experience. I will need to find out how to make it even or close to even to record accordingly. 

Streaking
I also streaked the TSB + Rid-X substance in order to find out what kind of bacteria is in the Rid-X. I will more than likely gram-stain them on Thursday and figure out the results. In addition, I will most likely rework on my soil samples (with LB Nutrient Broth) to see what bacteria is residing in soil. 

1 comment: