Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Day of Test Tubes

Bioremediation Kit Practice + TSB 

   
      • 1st Picture: Me gathering materials from bioremediation kit from Carolina company. 
      • 2nd Picture: Four different test tubes with corn oil, distilled water, and Rid-X 
      • 3rd Picture: TSB test tube w/ a pinch of Rid-X 
Yesterday I research a Bioremediation Protocol and began the experiment today. I started off by gathering my materials, made a checklist of what I needed, and began work. 

The procedure I followed was (summarized):                                                                                    
  • Labeling four different test tubes with a number and my name and date. 
  • Next, I added 2 mL of 0.02% tetrazolium indicator to Tube 1 and Tube 2. 
  • I added 2 mL of distilled water in Tube 3 and Tube 4. 
  • I added 10 drops of Corn Oil to all four tubes. 
  • I then added 2 mL of distilled water to Tube 1 and Tube 3. 
  • I added 2 mL of microbial suspension (Rid-X) to Tube 2 and Tube 4. 
  • I listed in my notebook what componenets each test tube had. 
  • I then mixed the liquid in all test tubes by finger vortexing one test tube at a time. 
  • Lastly, I recorded observations for each test tube for color, fluidity, and any other characteristics. 
  • I will be seeing the difference(s) if any next Tuesday. 
TSB + Rid-X:
  • Josh told me to take two TSB test tubes and add Rid-X (about a pinch or so) and next Tuesday come and see what is growing. Should be exciting to see what the results are! 
Conclusion:
I feel that by being involved in this experiment, it gives me practice with regards to microorganisms, oil, and water. I also get to see some interpretation of the real world events such as oil spills, and how it could be possible for bioremediation to come handy. The more practice I get, the better I will understand the concept and find unique ways to approach oil spill situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment