Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Back from Spring Break

Return from spring break. It's been a while since I have been in the lab because of a week off. However, as soon I returned I immediately continued on an experiment that I left off on, and I also started a new experiment today. 
_____________________________________________________________________
Bioremediation Tests 
Before the break, I had set up 13 test tubes with 13 different species of bacteria and Crisco oil. I didn't need to include the color indicator tetrazolium because the point of the test was to see if bacteria truly did do something with the oil, and also see if there would be some kind of cloudy appearance. I noticed small spots at the bottom of the test tubes that had the bacteria:

  • E. coli
  • Pseudomonos fluoroscens
  • Salmonella
  • Serratia marcescens
  • Proteus vulgaris

I wondered why these specific species of bacteria had those results but the other results didn't. I showed Matt and Josh my results and I was told to repeat the experiment but this time add 1 drop of the bacteria rather than a loop, and also try a new oil -- motor oil. I may have to continue with the additional procedures another day because I needed more material like test tubes, and the room I usually work on my experiments was busy. 
_____________________________________________________________________
Bacteria Chart
Today I also worked on a chart, and the data that I used for the chart was a bioremediation experiment weeks ago using different species of bacteria, corn oil, and tetrazolium to see which ones turned red/dark pink. The chart consisted of four things:

  1. The specie of the bacteria.
  2. If there was color change or not. 
  3. Gram positive or negative. 
  4. Cell shape. 
(Click for better view)
_____________________________________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment