Thursday, March 8, 2012

Caffeinated

Today went by pretty fast. I was surprised how quickly time went by today and I did not even get to the second part of my newest experiment yet.
_____________________________________________________________________
First, 
I checked the incubator today to see how the DI water and seawater with Crisco oil and motor oil resulted with the bacteria. As of now, there are no obvious change and I recorded "no change". Change probably did occur, but if it did then it was not visible because I did not include tetrazolium (color indicator that determines if bacteria degrades oil). The only new observation that I did notice were very small bubbles (about 4-5 in each plate), but other than that nothing. I may need to wait longer than a day to see what the results were. I returned everything in an incubator and plan to take observations within a lengthy period to compare a day to about a week (more of less). 
_____________________________________________________________________
More soda and exercising!
Esperanza asked if she could run a test and I would be a subject which I agreed, but what I had to do was drink a can of soda in about 5 minutes and then wait 20 minutes after drinking it. I couldn't drink it down in 5 minutes, but I did my best to make sure that I finished it and then set the timer of 20 minutes. After, I went to Esperanza and what I had to do was click a button (w/ headphones on) every time I hear a sound. After, I was told to run up to the highest floor of the building using the stairs, and then run back down. I then needed to repeat the hearing test and the results came better than my first attempt. 
_____________________________________________________________________
Working with more bacteria and oil
Matt gave me a new experiment which was to apply 2 mL of Crisco oil in 13 tubes, and then apply 13 different species of bacteria. I was curious to see how this would work, or how I would know if the bacteria is working without the addition of tetrazolium (the color indicator). After inoculating the species of bacter to the tubes with oil, I let it set in a test rack at room temperature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment