Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Return of the Ilde

once upon a time in a galaxy far far away..........

So Im back after around 3 months of not being here. Last week, as soon as I came in I was given a project to work on. It deals with micropropagation of cacti. Pretty much what I found out is that micropropagation is a technique used to grow plant matter from tissue of another plant of the same species. so far I was able to find a simple protocol online on this website (http://www.biotechnologyonline.gov.au/pdf/biotech/plant_tissue_culture_in_class.pdf.

This week I got to work on the garden setting up soil for new plants to be planted. I also measured some edible plants that had been growing. In the process I learned to identify them. Some included were corn, carrots, garlic, onions.

Lastly yesterday March 13 I got to work on another project. This one is a robotics project. I'm trying to build a robot that will pour media into media plates. The reason why I'm doing it is because here at the Biosciences labs at Phoenix College pouring media can get a bit difficult. Most of the time the amount of plates poured are in the 50's and the flasks used to make the media in are pretty big. So after a while the wrists of the pourer will start suffering. having a robot to do this would potentially make it a more time efficient process and it wouldn't hurt anyone. So far what i accomplish was getting the robot to move back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment