Tuesday, September 27, 2011

09.27.2011

Well today I was asked to make the TSA media and pour the media that was already created into the petri dishes. As I was finishing up my third and last 500 ml Maconkey media I noticed there was a dead fly in the solution. So I had to throw away around 20 of the completed dishes. After pouring the two TSA media, I made earlier, I started on 3 more 500 ml Maconkey media. After I put it in the autoclave, I helped clean the cadavers.
While cleaning the cadavers, we found a new type of fungus growing. They look like little black bugs but was interesting to see how fast the fungi had spread.
We then had to spray the body with concentrated dis-formula and finished off with the diluted "body juice".
By the end of that, my Maconkey media was done in the autoclave and there I was pouring another 20-40 of the dishes.
After I got that completed and I cleaned up my station, I went back to the Biology prep and they were preparing DNA gel stuff.
But when he got to the last one, he had ran out of the solution. That had ruined the last one and I had to go back and make the solution which was not so difficult. It was a 1% agros gel solution ( I believe). It was basically done the same as the TSA and Maconkey except we cant use water.
Today was pretty interesting, but was very fun to see what can go wrong in a lab.

1 comment: