Monday, February 6, 2012

Broth and Exercise!

Fermentation Test Results + A Bit of Exercise 


[Pictures above are results of TSB + Rid-X after a 24 hour incubation of 37 degrees Celcius. Left picture is Glucose, middle is Lactose, and right is Mannitol]

Recap
Today I looked at the Rid-X and TSB sample from my petri dish that was in the incubator for 37 degrees for 24 hours.According to the fermentation test, if the color of the glucose changed from red (original color) to yellow, there is acid and the result is positive. If there is a gas bubble trapped in the Durham tube, then the result is still positive. Lastly, if there is not change then the result is negative. Seeing as there was change and a bubble trapped in the Durham tube, I concluded the the result is positive. I need to redo my soil sample experiment, which I redid the Fermentation Broth test and incubated the tubes (lactose, glucose and mannitol) in an incubator. 


Focusing on the Rid-X and TSB results with the Fermentation Broth, I then proceeded to the next step which was a Tryptone Broth and Indole Reagent. I needed to get a Tryptone Broth tube and used an inoculation loop to dip the bacteria to the tube and incubate at 37 degrees Celcius. I will then need to check on the tube Tuesday and work on part 2 of the test, which is to add Indole Reagent. 



Lastly...
Matt took a look at my permanent slides that I made about two weeks ago, and he suggested that I take individualized bacteria colonies rather than a group of them to get a better image when I gram stain and look under the microscope. He recommended for me to do that on Tuesday, but for now try another approach. He gave me Dilution Blanks (2) and he wanted me to add 10 grams of Garden Soil sample that I had in one, and 1 gram of soil in another. After shaking it for 10 minutes, I would need to make streak on two different plates and leave it incubated at room temperature. 


[Left, 10 grams of soil, and right 1 gram of soil]


No comments:

Post a Comment