Thursday, February 2, 2012

Picture-Mania!

On Tuesday, I had a variety of tasks, which I did well getting most of them done before Thursday. I went to check on my petri dishes in the incubator (two are a sample of TSB and Rid-X, and two others are TSB and soil sample from the garden). (Spores were sprouting, smooth texture, opaque). 



Now knowing how to fix and gram stain, the procedure went quicker than my first attempt. 


 

Looking under the microscope, I found that both were Gram Negative because of their pinkish appearance, and that the bacteria that both of them had (RidX and Soil) was Bacillus.

Afterwards, Josh taught me how to permanently have the sampled bacteria on the slides. I would just need to get my slides ready, get a micro cover slide (22 x 22 mm), and Cytoseal. What I would need to do is apply a dot of Cytoseal without air bubbles, and gently apply the cover slide over it and leave it to undisturbed for 24 hours.



Next, I performed an Oxidase test (for some reason it slants to the side) and if my results came out blue, I would continue with another test.

Results = Blue

Since the results were blue, I would then need to perform a Fermentation Broth test. I basically needed a lactose, glucose and mannitol FB and add a sample of soil and Rid-X from the petri dishes. After that, I would need to place them in an incubator.




(Lactose, Glucose, and Mannitol) 

No comments:

Post a Comment