Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Guess Who: Bacteria Style

Today I learned how to view my slides under a microscope that was connected to a computer and watch it live. I took several pictures, but I will continue to take pictures on Thursday.













Today was oriented on determining if the bacteria that I found in Rid-X and Soil were correct. A recap of last week's findings.
  • In Rid-X, I found that the bacteria is Enterboacter aerogenes. This type of bacteria is found in soil, water, dairy products, and in the intestines of animals and humans. 
  • In soil from the garden, I found that the bacteria is Escherichia coli. This type of bacteria is found in animal feces and lower intestines of animals. 
Bioremediation Experiment 2.0 
Knowing that Rid-X worked in decreasing the amount of corn oil in a tube, it became my control tube. I had three other tubes that I was going to test; In the replacement of Rid-X, I would add soil to one tube see if it would clean the oil, another tube with Enterobacter aerogenes, and another with Escherichia coli. This would help me see if the bacteria that I chose for garden soil and Rid-X was correct. (Hoping that it was!) 

Procedure
  1. Label four tubes with each testing material, your name, and date. 
  2. Starting with the Rid-X tube, add 2 mL of 0.02% tetrazolium with a measuring pipet. Then apply with the other three tubes. 
  3. Add 10 drops of corn oil to each test tube. 
  4. Add 1 gram of Rid-X in the Rid-X tube. 
  5. Add 1 gram of soil in the soil tube. 
  6. Add 1 drop of Enterobacter aerogenes to the proper tube. 
  7. Add 1 drop of Escherichia coli to the E. coli tube. 
  8. Finger vortex all test tubes. 

Observations
I jotted down observations for each tube to see how they compare in a couple of days. 
  • Rid-X = Tan color (Rid-X) at the bottom of the tube, yellow layer and clear liquid. 
  • Soil = Dark brown soil at the bottom of tube, clear liquid w/ yellow layer. 
  • Enterobacter aerogenes = Clear liquid w/ yellow layer. 
  • Eschericia coli = Clear liquid, yellow layer. 
I will then need to wait for Thursday to see the results and write down new observations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment