Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Continuation of Streaking + Confirmation

I started out with working on fixing and gram staining the culture samples from Thursday. On Thursday, I streaked 12 individual bacterial colonies on 12 TSA plates. There was a better result today because I could see some pure colonies, but for the most part there were still some that had a mixture of different colonies. Nonetheless, I gram stained all 12 for comparison. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With the same bacterial colonies, I had TSB tubes (as an alternative to TSA plates) and streaked them to 12 different TSA plates. I want to see what choice gives better results, and I was told by Matt that I may have better results with the tubes. 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Lastly, I checked to see the first experiment I did with Bioremediation and my second experiment for any differences and comparisons. It looks like both are relatively the same. The things that I noticed was:
  • Enterobacter aerogenes (on both) had some pink color. 
  • E. coli (on both) showed some presence of pink color.
  • Soil from first experiment had very, very little pink color while the new experiment didn't show anything. 
  • Rid-X on both showed obvious change of color (maroon-red). 
*Color change of red/pink indicates the microbes degrading the oil. Tetrazolium (0.02%) acts as a color indicator. 


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Lastly, I streaked a loop-full of Enterobacter aerogenes to a TSA plate and left it to incubate for 24 hours. I will return tomorrow (Wednesday) to record observations and continue on fixing and gram staining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment