Wednesday, November 16, 2011

11.16.2011

So today was pretty interesting. I started off with one Matts little jello projects. It is a little similar to what Gilbert did with his Jello pinapple project, except I used mango. What I basically did was create an experiment to see if mango contained the enzyme protease. Protease is an enzyme or type of protien that is, in theory, suppose to hinder the process of jello solidifying. What I found out was that there is a way to stop or inavtivate those enzymes, by denaturation, which means changes shape or structure of a protien, with out chaging what it's made up of. It is said that heat will permantly inactivate the enzyme protease in mangos. In my experiment I made 3 samples of jello, one control, one with fresh fruit, and one with cooked fruit. I will see the results tomorrow.
I did another one of Matts exeriments, which is one of his most smelly ever I have to say. We had boil 12 eggs, only to use like 2 of them. Put them in 12 test tubes and add smashed pinneapple to 4 test tubes and and smashed mango to the other 4, all of this is along with the egg pieces. The last 4 were our control with nothing but pieces of egg white. The reason of this test isto see if the same enzymes we tested before will eat though egg white, which is another type of protien. That is basically all.

1 comment:

  1. Good description of enzyme inactivation :) Why was the second experiment so smelly? Do you just not like the smell of eggs?

    ReplyDelete