Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 16 and 17, 2011

On Wednesday, I showed Matt my findings for my potato experiment that I have done in the past. I was told to redo the projects (because it is a good idea to do it twice for comparison) and this time he will be taking pictures of before the experiment has been implemented and after the results were in. This time the experiment went a bit easier because of previous experience and I was able to get the results rather fast. I compared my results from last time to the most recent and found somewhat of a difference, but for the most part things stayed the same as expected. After, I worked on another project, which is to isolate bacteria from soil samples. I went to the campus to find samples of soil, one from the garden, and another from the path. I was to work on the project the following day.

On Thursday (today), I continued with my project, but this time I was using the "hood" for the majority of the experiment. I struggled a bit because it was my first time using the machine, but I eventually got the hang of it after the mistakes that I made. I applied two different broths, one was Super Broth and the other was LB Nutrient Broth. I applied LB Nutrient Broth to four test tubes (2 in the garden samples and 2 in the path samples) and then apply Super Broth in one test tube (path) and another (garden). After I was finished, I left it in an incubator and watched two twenty-minute videos about "Biomimicry" and another about fungi. I really enjoyed both clips and took notes which I found interesting. Mushrooms can sprout out of ants! After the videos, I continued with my project and swabbed the samples to six petri dishes and then labeled them. I should continue to work on this project next week. This is the most exciting project yet, besides Aquaponics and Hydroponics.

No comments:

Post a Comment